Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express edition is a free, feature-rich edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning, developing, powering desktop, web & small server applications.
Below are the step-by-step instructions that will show how to install SQL server 2014 on windows 8.1
Step 1: Download SQL Server Express
Select the option based on your windows client. Click on next button, the files will get downloaded.
Step 2: Click on the setup file. Select New SQL Server stand-alone installation from installation tab
Step 3: Open the SQL server configuration manager to start up the SQL service
- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft SQL Server 2014\Configuration Tools
The following services should be in the running state and then set them to the automatic start mode.
- SQL Server: SQLEXPRESS
- SQL Server Browser
Step 4: Setup the Local SQL Server
- Open SQL server management studio
- Click on connect from object explorer and select server name
Note: Server name should be like [YOUR_PC_NAME]\SQLEXPRESS
Example: Your computer\SQLEXPRESS or localhost\SQLEXPRESS
- Step 5: Create your user Account and setup the Permissions
- Create a Login Account
- Click on the expand tree button for your Local Server -> Security -> Right-click on Logins -> Select New Login
Step 6: Setup Network and Authentication
- Right-click your Local Server -> Select Properties -> Select Security Tab -> Enable SQL Server and Windows Authentication Mode
Step 7: Enable TCP/IP
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager -> SQL Server Network Configuration -> Protocols for SQLEXPRESS -> Enable TCP/IP
Step 8: Restart the SQL Local server service
- Restart the SQL Local service after enabling TCP/IP.
Step 9: If you are not able to connect to database, Change the TCP/IP default port to 1433
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager -> SQL Server Network Configuration -> Protocols for SQLEXPRESS ->Right click on TCP/IP ->Properties ->TCP Dynamic port
About the Author
Pooja Jawalkar is working with Trinamix Inc. as a System engineer with almost two years of rich experience in Value Chain Planning.